Tuesday 11 January 2011

The Best Movie I Ever Watched

I am not a huge movie buff, I don't know why, and I feel sometimes that I've seen enough movies, so this is largely a pretty retro list for this blog dare. I used to go to the cinema when I was younger, but now, I am not so interested in films unless the story really grabs me. I prefer a good biographical film over a comedy or drama. Here are some of my favourites

Annie's Coming Out - I first saw this film when I was about 17, it really resonated with me, its a true story about a young lady who is given up at birth and institutionalised. She cannot walk or talk, but as it turns out, she's intelligent, and a young, idealistic teacher develops a way of communicating with her. Later on in my career as a carer I care for a young man who was very similar, he used a computer to communicate. I think also it resonated with me because for about a year I was misdiagnosed as having a learning disability, so though not as extreme, I felt a bond with Annie.

In the Name of the Father - I love everything about this film, it's true and it's compelling. It has the rather lovely Daniel Day Lewis in it, and the music is amazing, I love both the U2 track and the Sinead O'Connor Track. I am not a massive fan of Emma Thomson, but in this film she is perfect, that moment she deliberately asks for the "wrong" Conlon file, and breaks the case apart is one of my favourite moments in film. But the real star was Pete Postlethwaite, who sadly died last week.

Slumdog Millionaire - I think a theme of barracking for the underdog is developing here, another amazing film about the power of the human spirit and rising out of adversity. I also loved the "Bollywood" aspects of this film which stopped it being quite so depressing. The other thing I loved was that the actors were all unknown in the west, and the film traded purely on its story rather than star pulling power.

Romper Stomper - I had only just turned 18 when I went to see this movie, twice in a week, first with one of my dear friends Laurel, and then with mum. It is a dark and scary film, with incredibly powerful acting and a stunning story line, which showed a part of Australian life and culture that is rarely seen. Unfortunately in this week I also saw Strictly Ballroom, which whilst a stunning film, couldn't quite match Romper Stomper for intensity and the shock factor.

The Picnic at Hanging Rock - I loved the film and the book, the ethereal images of these beautifully dressed young girls walking off into the bush, never to be seen again, is haunting, and drama that ensues with the search is heart wrenching. Contrary to popular belief there is no evidence that this story is true, but it doesn't make it less compelling.

Priscilla - Queen of the Desert - I truly adore this film, and I can never quite pick who is my favourite character, I adore the humour of  it, the bitchiness, the costumes, and the story line. It's a film that seeks to entertain, but also to gently challenge the homophobia, I think. It's a lovely movie, and what's not to love about the soundtrack?

A Beautiful Mind - Another Russell Crowe picture, but this film really grabbed me, the story line, the whole smoke and mirror thing of not knowing which parts of the story are real, and which are the makings of the lead character's fractured mind. The acting is understated and superb, the story sympathetic yet honest. It's a move that has stayed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment