Monday 27 February 2012

Talk to a Midwife - Tommy's PregnancyLine

I wanted to let all of you know about a fantastic service that my favourite charity, Tommys,  provides, free of charge thanks to the generous support of the ASDA Foundation, the PregnancyLine.

The PregnancyLine is open 9-5 Monday to Fridays and the number is 0800 0147 800.

Pregnancy can be a worrying time, especially if you have had a difficult pregnancy in the past, particularly a bereavement or a premature delivery. There are three aims of the service:
  • To provide support following a bereavement - still birth, miscarriage or neonatal death.
  • Preconception advice following a difficult pregnancy
  • Lifestyle advice for pregnant women, on issues like obesity, smoking, stress and alcohol and drug misuse.
I spoke to Emma Laing - Midwifery Manager for Tommy’s Information Service to find out more. My first question was why would someone ring her and not speak to their own midwife. She explained that sometimes it's hard to talk to your own midwife. Midwifery services are really stretched and you may not have time to discuss all your concerns. You may feel embarrassed or ashamed, and sometimes speaking to a qualified midwife over the phone can help you.

I was particularly interested in how a Tommy's midwife could help if someone had issues that they didn't feel they could discuss with their care providers. Information that is shared is completely confidential and does not go on your green notes. The midwives on the phoneline will signpost you to the relevant services in your area. For issues like drug and alcohol use or smoking this is a great way to raise your concerns and get the support you need to help you have a healthy pregnancy.

Emma also explained that Tommy's midwives are specially trained to help with complex pregnancies and are up to date with all the latest research. I have seen time and time again women who have had dreadful pregnancies first time round and need support and guidance to ensure they are on the right treatment path. Speaking to a qualified midwife with a special interest in pregnancy complications is invaluable.

Tommy's midwives want to ensure women are empowered to ensure they know their plan of care, and can advocate for themselves, to ensure a good outcome, a healthy baby.

Tommy's midwives are also keen to help people before pregnancy, and give pre-conception advice to ensure the very best start for your baby, and the midwives can help in the post natal period too.

I think this is an excellent service and just to remind you the number is 0800 0147 800. 











4 comments:

  1. Diaryofapremmymum27 February 2012 at 22:07

    I like the idea of having conversations that don't get put on your medical notes. I had a 'bleedin' awful pregnancy, literally. and every time i fancied a chat it would end up getting scribbled on my notes 'anxiety ++' or 'anxiety +++' and you know it didnt help me one little bit. I actually ended up feeling that I was being pre judged and such note taking impacted on the relationships I developed and even ended up restricting how much i would like to talk which is wrong. There were some serious attribution errors in my opinion as everyone was convinced that i was not going to deliver early, they felt it was simply a case of my being over anxious. When finally I delivered her at 25 weeks those notes followed me in to the nicu and the old 'anxious Mother' label was difficult to shift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on with this write-up, I absolutely believe this amazing site needs a great deal more attention.
    I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the info!
    Also visit my web site ; Trick Photography & Special Effects

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard
    on. Any recommendations?
    My homepage zeolite testimonials

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you'd like an alternative to randomly approaching girls and trying to find out the right thing to say...

    If you'd prefer to have women pick YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy pubs and night clubs...

    Then I encourage you to play this short video to learn a amazing secret that has the power to get you your own harem of beautiful women:

    FACEBOOK SEDUCTION SYSTEM!!!

    ReplyDelete