Tuesday 3 April 2012

Frankie and Bennys - Review

I was very pleased to be invited to try Frankie and Bennys new menu launched this month. We have a lovely new Frankie and Bennys locally and popped in last night to give it a try.

We were quite surprised just how busy the restaurant was for a Monday night. When we sat down, despite having not booked, they already had children's activities on the table. I thought this was a great touch and straight away Joseph (nearly 3) started playing with the little cards and drawing pictures.

The new menu is vast with lots of choice. Dining with a toddler is a reasonably swift affair so we we chose to have main courses and desserts rather than starters.

I chose the new Calamari Hot Caesar wrap, which was simply delicious. The calamari was tender, which is often a challenge to get right and the seasoning was just right. Personally I would have preferred a green salad to coleslaw, as the dressing in the wrap was creamy and I found the addition of coleslaw a bit too much, but the coolness of the coleslaw did balance the spiciness of the wrap.


My husband had a sirloin steak which looked delicious and came rare, as ordered, which sometimes doesn't happen in busy restaurants. It certainly kept him quiet, and it came with a delicious peppercorn sauce.

The children's menu is split into kids and juniors, which I really love. I often find at other places kids portions are too big. If Joseph is overfaced he often won't eat anything. He had chicken strips and chips which he pronounced delicious. We had side orders of onion rings and dough balls with breadsticks, which went down a storm. Joseph loved the breadsticks. It never ceases to amaze me for a fussy eater how much he adores garlic!

Next it came time to order dessert. Joseph ordered a chocolate sundae, my husband had tiramisu, and I ordered a lemon crumble sundae.

Unfortunately the restaurant, being so busy, made a couple of mistakes. The chocolate sundae for Joseph was missing the chocolate buttons, but they did correct this with a side order of maltesers when it was mentioned, otherwise it was just icecream with chocolate sauce. But he did love it and ate it all!

I ordered the Lemon Crumble Sundae, when it arrived I queried it as it didn't look right. No one came back to me as it was just so busy. What hapened was they had delivered the Sherbert Dip instead which is essentially the same thing but without the crumbly bits! No matter as it was delicious!


We really enjoyed our meal and the new menu offers a lot of choice. I would have to say that if I was a vegetarian or had one in the family, Frankie and Bennys may not be my first choice and I'd advise you to check the menu before you go if you are vegetarian.

Eating out with a toddler can be stressful, and I find Frankie and Benny's perfect for little people. Joseph loves the music and atmosphere, the children's menu is good, and the activites are great too. We were there for two hours with no melt downs or tantrums and left full and happy! 

All images courtesy and copyright of Frankie and Benny's

I was offered a voucher to try out the new menu all opinions my own 


3 comments:

  1. Dawn Goldsmith3 April 2012 at 10:04

    We like F&B's too, will have to get the hubbles to take us to try the new menu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great! We never really pop into Frankie and Benny's because, well, they looked a bit run down all the time lol. Seeing your review we'll definitely give it a try! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks yummy, we have a Frankie and Bennys near us but have to admit we never go there, as the same as you dining with a three year old is a quick affair. But I may have to try it now xx

    ReplyDelete